Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ele-Food week 3

Life never slows down, does it? Finally had some spare time this afternoon and grocery shop and cook something new. Hold onto your horses, ladies and gentlemen, this one is a tasty one!

                            Whole wheat spaghetti with shrimp, bacon and watercress


Now if you're anything like me, you're thinking "what in the name of hannah montana is watercress?"
(I had to actually Google it. Embarrassing. In case you're wondering, it is a fast-growing, aquatic or semi-aquatic perennial plant native to Europe and Asia, and one of the oldest known leaf vegetables consumed by humans.)
I looked for watercress for about a total of two minutes and thirty-two seconds before remembering, "I'm in Target." The produce section is about the size of my bicep a month after breaking my arm (I'll give you a hint, teeeeeeny). So instead I grabbed some fresh spinach. A leaf is a leaf right?

Anyway, this meal was delicious. I would definitely make it again and it probably took under 20 minutes to make. Score.
(As you can see from the picture, I threw in some carrots as a side, as well.)

Ingredients:8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
1 slice of thick cut bacon (I may have used 2........Don't judge me)
1 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion finely chopped
1 lb large shrimp
1 bunch of watercress (chopped) (or whatever the heck kind of leaf you wanna use!)
3/4 tsp black pepper
Optional crushed red pepper (delicious)

Directions:1) Cook the pasta according to the label until al dente. Reserve 3 TBSP of cooking liquid; drain the rest.
2) Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Cool on paper towel, crumble and reserve. Add oil and onion to skillet. Cook until soft (5-7 minutes)
3) Add shrimp. Raise heat to medium-high; cook until opaque (5-6 minutes). Toss in watercress, pasta with water, bacon, pepper and red pepper. (to make this more fun, do it with your hands. Just sayin')

Makes about 4 servings.
Approx.nutritional info
330 calories per serving.
6.7g of fat
36g protein
45g carbohydrate


No comments:

Post a Comment